At my school, in the first chapel of 2017, our president was speaking about hospitality. After chapel, I went back to my apartment and cooked a meal that I originally planned to make for only me and my roommate to eat. But then I thought why not invite my sister over to have a meal with me too. It was so delicious that she asked me if she could come back for seconds and as much as I wanted the leftovers all to myself, I decided not to be selfish and to open up my apartment for her to come back. It felt great to give, to serve… to take care of people and to expect nothing back in return.
Also in chapel, we sang “Build My Life” by Housefires and the part in the lyrics that stood out to me the most was
“Show me who You are and fill me with Your heart and lead me in Your love to those around me.”
…Jesus’ life is a perfect example of what it is to be hospitable
I purchased all of the ingredients from Trader Joe’s, except for the Italian seasoning- I bought it from Sprouts.
> SWEET POTATO, BROCCOLI, CHICKEN BAKE <<
What you will need:
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cubed
- 3 cups packed broccoli stems and florets, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, ¼ inch small cubes–small cutes are key (~1½ cups cubed)
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp.raisins
- 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts or nuts of choice (I used candied pecans from Trader Joe’s!)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. Italian seasoning, dried
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup soft goat or feta cheese, crumbles (optional. i used feta cheese!)
– Preheat oven to 375 °F.
– Grease a large casserole dish with olive oil.
– Place cubed chicken on the bottom of casserole dish. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
– In a bowl combine broccoli, sweet potatoes, red onion, garlic, raisins, chopped walnuts, olive oil and herbs. Toss to coat.
– Top chicken with herb and vegetable mixture.
– Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and sweet potatoes are soft.
– Top with optional cheese just before serving.
Let me know what you think after you have tried this dish! Enjoy!
X O ,
T I N A